Friday, January 11, 2013

One Thousand Gifts

Pin It




What a book.  Have you ever the pleasure of picking it up?  

"One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp.  

 photo credit

When I first grabbed it from the library and began reading I wasn't impressed, but then I realized I was reading too fast which I tend to do quite often so I was missing the 'essence'.  I stopped, closed the book, took a breath, opened it and began reading once again but more mindful and slowly, letting each word sink into my consciousness.


Now I need a copy for myself....for my personal library.  This is the type of book I will pick up again and again, referring to it when I need to draw some strength from something positive.


As in the book, I have taken the challenge of listing a 1000 gifts to be thankful for in my daily life.  Eucharisteo.  My daily journal travels with me wherever I go enabling me to jot down a gift when I see or experience it.  Wanting a journal that had a wire binding was important to me and I found a perfect one at a local store just before Christmas.  This type of binding will allow it to lay flat on my bedside table or on the kitchen counter-top as I prepare meals.  


I will 'Dare to Live Fully Right Where I Am'.  Eucharisteo.  Thanksgiving.  If you are looking to discover 'joy', I urge you to pick up this book and read it.  It is amazing.

Remember to give your loved ones a hug!

12 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading so I might have to see if my library has this book....thanks for your advice :)

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started something like that years ago, but then life got in the way and the journal went into storage. Hope you can keep yours up forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be interesting to read it now Sharon? I am sure it would bring back many memories! I will certainly try. :0)

      Delete
  3. Looks like a wonderful read. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very interesting. I will have to look for it.

    Have a super weekend.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted this book for so long Debbie. It is on my watchlist on eBay but I haven't bought it yet. You have me inspired to do so now though xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just bought it Debbie, hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here...I follow Ann's blog too, it is really beautiful, I love the way she writes :)

    Have a wonderful weekend

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie,
    I'm also counting the graces, inspired by One Thousand Gifts! As it happened, I stumbled upon the devotional, with place to write the daily blessings, on Amazon as I was looking on other books ... So I bought a copy to myself.
    I'll be thinking of you when I'll count my gifts today :-)
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fascinating book. Recognizing the tender mercies of the Lord brings happiness and gratitude.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...