Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesday's Tip

Pin It

I was gifted a spider plant a while back so I did some research (Tipnut) to ensure it lives a long, happy life and gives me lots of little plantlets so I can propagate and multiply it into many so I can share with friends.


So if you have one of these, here are some tips to help it along that you might not have known about.

Water - spider plants like moist, well drained soil.  It does like the top of the soil to dry a bit between watering and it doesn't like fluoride found in tap water so ensure the water has sat for at least 24 hours before giving it a drink.

Humidity - these houseplants thrive in both humid and dry environments but if your home tends to be on the dry side, place it in the bathroom once in a while when you are showering....it will love you for it.

Lighting - An ideal location is somewhere in your home where it will receive lots of natural light but not be placed in direct sunlight.  Plantlets will thrive in these conditions.

Fertilize - do not fertilize when the plant is dormant...late Fall and Winter.  Otherwise gently fertilize every couple of months during Spring and Summer.

Final tip - rotate the pot occasionally so the plant doesn't grow lopsided.

Spider plants are known to improve indoor air quality and originate from South Africa.  These are one of the easiest houseplants to grow so enjoy!



I hope these tips help if you decide to grow some spider plants or if you already have one!  Remember to give your loved ones a hug!

11 comments:

  1. Spider plants are the greatest little plants and as you said - So easy!! Neat Peter Rabbit pot ;-}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? Yes, I love little Peter Rabbit. :)

      Delete
  2. I adore your Peter Rabbit planter :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips.....love the Peter Rabbit hanging off the edge.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Cath...Peter helps to take care of the plant! :0)

      Delete
  4. I love thes spider plant. I have them all over the house as I can never bring myself to tossing out the over abundant babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I couldn't toss out babies either! LOL I am hoping for lots of them since this is my first plant. ;0)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your tips. I have a spider plant, and learned that I was inadvertently doing some things right, like allowing the top of the soil to be dry by using a "water-from-the-bottom" pot. I also learned I should be letting my water sit out before watering. (Of course, that means I'll need to remember to water the plants prior to their leaves starting to droop!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know if they are poisonous to dogs and cats if they were to get in to it? That's what I'm always worried about. Do I get a clipping??? lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...