Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Baking and Jars

Pin It

Today it had cooled down quite a bit. A perfect day for baking! Baking is something I love doing in the fall and winter. After all the hard work, I have yummy things to feed to my family, the oven helps to keep the house warm and the smells from baking are enough to make you feel all good inside.






This is a standby at our home. Thumbprint Cookies!

Here is the recipe if you care to try making some.

Ingredients:

1 and 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup white sugar + 1/2 cup for rolling balls
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
36-42 Hershey's Kisses

Preparation:

Unwrap the Hershey's Kisses from their wrapper and place in a bowl. Set aside.
Place 1/2 cup white sugar in another bowl and set aside.
Turn oven to 375 degrees F.

Instructions:

Combine all the ingredients (except the Hershey Kisses and white sugar that are set aside) in a large bowl. Mix until dough forms and all ingredients are thoroughly blended.

Using a teaspoon, scoop up some of the dough and in your hands roll into balls. Roll the balls in the bowl of white sugar and place on un-greased cookie sheets.

Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until edges are a nice dark brown. When you remove the cookies from the oven, immediately place a Hershey's kiss in the center, press down so cookie cracks a little on the edges.


These are extremely easy to make and are delicious! They don't last long around here.



While preparing to bake the cookies today, I had to take a picture of my jars. I love jars. I find them very convenient to use, they are pleasing to the eye and remind me of my dear Grandmother when I was growing up. I fill mine with rice, teabags, sugar, flour, popcorn, dog biscuits...anything that is bought in plastic bags can be stored in tight sealing jars.

Alot of my jars have sentimental value and I don't want them sitting in a china cabinet, not being used. I use all my old dishes. I would rather they be loved and used than sitting in a cupboard ignored and forgotten. My two oldest jars hold my flour and my sugar. They are very special to me as I remember Luke helping me bake cookies when he was just two or three years old. He loved sticking his chubby little hands in them to grab the scoop and usually ended up with more flour on the flour or himself than in the mixing bowl.

Use your special dishes, jars and mementos. The memories of them will continue as you use them and they will reward you with even more memories.


Give each of your family members a hug tonight!

6 comments:

  1. Great collection! I'm in process of switching from plastic containers to glass. Thank you! for your comments in DTE forum...I left you a note concerning fighting the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! In my family those are made around holidays. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment in D.T.E. I am happy to be called strange and the other secret passion of mine is glass jars. I just love them and refuse to hide them in cupboards. I dont think we are alone in this as I saw some empty coffee jars in an 'antique' shop the other day for $5(AU)each.They were coffee jars that are in the shops filled with coffee not a great deal dearer.!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE thumbprint cookies! I haven't had one in ages! Think I have a project set for the weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...